WWW2008 Student Information - Travel Scholarship for Female Students
Google is partnering with WWW 2008 to offer partial travel support to encourage more female students to attend and participate in the WWW2008 conference. Applications are accepted from students attending recognized degree-granting institutions around the world. Google encourages more diverse and representative participation in the technology industry.
The following students are awarded the Google Travel Scholarship:
- Abbassi Zeinab, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Barbara Poblete, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain
- Jiao Tao, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA
- Michelle Hong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, China
- Ying Li, University Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- Yue Lu, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
To be eligible for a student travel award, you must:
- Be a full-time female student at a recognized university studying computer science, computer engineering, or closely related technical field
- Have a strong record of academic achievement (minimum 85/100 or 3.5/4.0 average grade)
- Attend at least 3 days of WWW 2008
- 3500 CNY (around 500 USD) for each selected student. The total amount of awards granted will be based on the quantity and quality of applications.
** EXTENDED: Application deadline: April 16, 2008 (11:59pm EST)
Awards will be announced on a merit basis, and announced by April 18th, 2008.
Send the following documents in electronic format to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline:
- evidence of registration of your registration for WWW 2008
- evidence of your current full-time status in university, and statement of your field of study
- official or unofficial academic transcript (with separate average grade calculation if necessary)
Essay (can be included in the body of the email):
- 1 short essay on why attending WWW 2008 is important to your research and/or future career, OR
- 1 short essay on the following topic:
Suppose you were given 7000 CNY (about 1000 USD) to plan an event or project to benefit women in technical fields. Describe your motivation for choosing the event or project, what you would do, and what impact it would have.
We suggest 200 - 600 words maximum per essay.
No pre-payment of expenses is provided. If you are a successful applicant, you will receive payment in person at WWW2008 by presenting to the student travel award program coordinator:
- letter from Google announcing your award
- evidence of your registration for WWW2008